If you feel your pet has an emergency, the information here may help you deal with it quickly and efficiently.
First of all, don’t panic. We are here to help, so if you can, contact us first. We can advise you over the phone on any First Aid treatment that should be done immediately. If your pet needs to come to the surgery straight away, with this call, we can get things ready in preparation for your arrival.
Things that constitute emergencies or cases that should be seen as soon as possible would include …
- Injuries … e.g . post car accidents
- Shock due to trauma, blood loss, etc
- Severe bleeding … e.g. wounds from mowers & slashers
- Poisonings … e.g. from eating rat baits and human medications
- Severe seizures … e.g. bad ones that are really violent & persisting
- Tick poisonings
- Snake bites
- Acute allergic reactions .e.g. where there is marked swelling
- Sudden collapse
- Choking or breathing difficulties (* This may also indicate tick poisoning)
- Burns & scalds
- Eye injuries
- Urinary difficulties, especially in male cats